kern/67636 PR again?

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:35:14 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:50:15 -0800 (PST)
Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Rostislav Krasny wrote:
>
> > Hello there.
> >
> > Although the kern/67636 PR was closed before FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE,
> > I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on my FreeBSD
> > 5.3-RELEASE-p5:
> >
> > saturn# ls -al /boot/kernel/ipl.ko
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  92883 Jan 17 12:18 /boot/kernel/ipl.ko
> > saturn# kldload -v /boot/kernel/ipl.ko
> > kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/ipl.ko: No such file or directory
> > saturn# dmesg | tail -1
> > link_elf: symbol in6_cksum undefined
> >
> > And following is the contents of my kernel build configuration file.
> > As you can see I've disabled INET6 but enabled IPFIREWALL and
> > IPDIVERT for some other use. Before trying ipl I was using ipfw with
> > natd.
>
> ... and ipl, as configured stock, requires INET6. Compile your kernel
> with INET6 or manually compile the ipfilter module to remove the
> requirement:
>
> cd /sys/modules/ipfilter
> make cleandir
> make obj
> make -DNOINET6
> make install
>
> You'll have to do this anytime you rebuild your kernel, unless you add
> a line to /etc/make.conf like
>
> NOINET6=yes
>
> but I'm not sure what effect that will have on other code.

Defining NOINET6 in the /etc/make.conf disables building IPv6 related
programs and libraries during buildworld. I wonder why kernel code is
using this environment variable without checking its own INET6 one too?

Take a look on following locations:

/usr/src/sys> grep -r NOINET6 *
contrib/ipfilter/netinet/ip_compat.h:       !defined(NOINET6)) || \
modules/ipfilter/Makefile:.if !defined(NOINET6)
modules/pf/Makefile:.if defined(NOINET6)