nfsiod tasks started in error

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Apr 7 13:22:25 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Apr 07), bob at a1poweruser.com said:
> During sysinstall answered no to the server and client nfs questions
> and after installed completed and system rebooted I see task
> nfsiod1,2,3,4 running in output of ps ax command.  This was not the
> case in any of the 4.x releases. This can be looked upon as a
> security leak. This may be a error in the new boot up process. This
> was first reported 1/16/2004 in 5.2 RC2 as Problem Report kern/61438
> and again in 5.3 as Problem Report kern/79539

Both of those PRs should be closed as not-a-bug, I think.  nfsiod
threads simply allow multiple concurrent NFS requests.  In 4.*, with no
nfiod processes running, you can still use NFS (just more slowly than
with them).  In 5.*, they are auto-created as kernel threads during
bootup.

> I tried to run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/killnfs.sh script to kill these
> unwanted tasks but that does not work.

They aren't tasks, but kernel threads.  Just like pagedaemon, swapper,
g_event, irq*, swi*, and a couple dozen other threads created by the
kernel.

> Any suggestions on how I can kill these bogus nfs tasks as part of
> boot up or what to change in the boot up process so these tasks don't
> get started in the first place? Doing a manual recompile of the
> kernel to remove the nfs statements is not a viable solution.

Why not?  If you want to disable NFS, that's the only way.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com