nfsiod tasks started in error

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Thu Apr 7 13:34:41 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Apr 07), bob at a1poweruser.com said:
> During sysinstall answered no to the server and client nfs
questions
> and after installed completed and system rebooted I see task
> nfsiod1,2,3,4 running in output of ps ax command.  This was not
the
> case in any of the 4.x releases. This can be looked upon as a
> security leak. This may be a error in the new boot up process.
This
> was first reported 1/16/2004 in 5.2 RC2 as Problem Report
kern/61438
> and again in 5.3 as Problem Report kern/79539

Both of those PRs should be closed as not-a-bug, I think.  nfsiod
threads simply allow multiple concurrent NFS requests.  In 4.*, with
no
nfiod processes running, you can still use NFS (just more slowly
than
with them).  In 5.*, they are auto-created as kernel threads during
bootup.

> I tried to run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/killnfs.sh script to kill these
> unwanted tasks but that does not work.

They aren't tasks, but kernel threads.  Just like pagedaemon,
swapper,
g_event, irq*, swi*, and a couple dozen other threads created by the
kernel.

> Any suggestions on how I can kill these bogus nfs tasks as part of
> boot up or what to change in the boot up process so these tasks
don't
> get started in the first place? Doing a manual recompile of the
> kernel to remove the nfs statements is not a viable solution.

Why not?  If you want to disable NFS, that's the only way.

--
        Dan Nelson
        dnelson at allantgroup.com
You did not answer my question.
how can I kill these bogus nfs tasks as part of the boot up or what
to change in the boot up process so these tasks don't get started in
the first place?  What is a work around with out compiling the
kernel?