Will there be a 5.3.1?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Sun Dec 19 16:29:33 PST 2004

At 10:40 PM 12/18/2004, Xin LI wrote:

>Would you please explain what are these ``glitches'' and ``performance
>issues''?  Are they believed to have been fixed in recent -CURRENT?

5.3 has been reported to be significantly slower on many machines --
something that we've seen in our own tests. Some of these may have
been fixed in -CURRENT, but this would not do us any good. We only
run release versions of FreeBSD on our production servers, and
then only update them with security fixes. We abolutely WON'T track
-CURRENT on a production machine, or take a random sample of it
on a random day, due to the many difficulties that this can cause.

--Brett Glass