5.3R crashing repeateadly

Cristóvão Dalla Costa cbraga at desnormal.com.br
Wed Dec 8 17:15:44 PST 2004

Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:21:24PM -0200, Cristóvão Dalla Costa wrote:
>

>>I just installed 5.3 RELEASE on a new server today and everytime I try
>>to compile someting for more than five minutes it crashes.
>>

>This sounds like hardware, but it could be a bug related to your
>particular system.  Do you get there errors if you boot with ACPI
>disabled?  What about with SMP disabled?

I've disabled SMP with the kern.smp.disabled=1 sysctl and I'll see what
happens next. Strangely though the kernel seems to think the system has
only one cpu despite it being hyperthreaded:

# sysctl -a | grep cpu
kern.threads.virtual_cpu: 1
kern.ccpu: 1948
kern.smp.maxcpus: 1
kern.smp.cpus: 1
hw.ncpu: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
machdep.cpu_idle_hlt: 1

# sysctl -a | grep machdep.hlt_logical_cpus
(no results)

# dmesg | less
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004
root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz (2405.47-MHz 686-class CPU)
Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf25  Stepping = 5
 Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,S
S,HTT,TM,PBE>
Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs

I'll try disabling ACPI if I have to reboot the server once more.

>You'll need to get a debug kernel and produce a traceback for us to have
>any chance of doing anything for you.  See the kernel debugging chapter
>of the Developers Handbook for info:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

I'll  do that. Thanks a lot for the help

Cristóvão