Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Tue Jul 22 17:57:37 PDT 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 17:02, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Rudolph Pereira wrote:
> > Just to drag this thread on a bit further ...
> >
> > I've been looking into these little boxes, thinking I could use one
> > as a firewall/gateway. My one requirement is that it would need to
> > have two PCI slots (one can be low-profile), and although I've seen
> > PCI riser cards that can give me two slots, they've been rare,
>
> And all the dual or triple slot ones I've seen also have an edge
> connector that goes into another PCI slot on the mainboard, so I
> don't know that they would even work.
>
> > and cases that are suitable (i.e have the space, and back panels
> > are compatible)  even rarer (I've yet to find one). Does anyone
> > know of any such cases (it'd be even better if they're available in
> > au)?
>
> No, but if you find something, please post!  I've been searching for
> something that is nice and small yet has more power than say a
> Soekris box and can handle more than one or two ethernet cards.
> Isn't there also another mini form factor?  I see that places like
> Iron Systems and other rack-mount outlets have some boxes that aren't
> mini-itx, but are still only 14" deep (about the size of an old Cisco
> 25xx router)...

Those mostly use Micro-ATX form factor boards.  Some of them are getting
dirt cheap, too; a local screwdriver shop advertises one with a P4 for
$499 these days.  Wowsers.  Probably a crappy motherboard, but toss in
another $100 for a good mobo & power supply and you've got yourself
quite a 1u system.  Then just wait for them to overheat...

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com