4.8-STABLE Kernel Panic with dummynet options.

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Apr 8 10:41:55 PDT 2003

Johan Christiansen wrote:
> I first met this problem when our (60 students) internetgateway refused to
> boot its new kernel, it was a 4.7-RELEASE. Then i loaded the old kernel and
> went home to check if my 4.8-STABLE does likewise. And the answer was yes!
> Both kernels were GENERIC + these options taken from the dummynet man pages:
>
> options         DUMMYNET
> options         NMBCLUSTERS
> options         HZ

Not quite...  some of these take numeric arguments

options     IPFIREWALL
options     DUMMYNET
options     HZ=2000          # choose and appropriate value
options     DEVICE_POLLING   # in 4.8+ this may help net perf

# if you need to mess with these, read the kernel LINT file!

options    NMBCLUSTERS=1024
options    NMBUFS=4096