4.8R and $FreeBSD$ version tag expansion

Derrick Norris derrick at norris-net.com
Sun Apr 6 18:02:13 PDT 2003

   Bruce> If memory serves me right, Julian Stacey wrote:

   >> > From: "David A. Gobeille" <dgobeille at earthlink.net> Date:
   >> > Fri, 04 Apr 2003 18:21:00 -0600 Message-id:
   >> > <3E8E216C.2060009 at earthlink.net>
   >>
   >> "David A. Gobeille" wrote:
   >> > I noticed that there were quite a few files with version ids
   >> > of '$FreeBSD$' when I ran mergemaster after an install of
   >> > 4.8R.  This isn't
   >>
   >> I read tags were reworked.  Prob. you'r working from old
   >> sources, & It'll rectify if you wait a day & then { refresh
   >> your CVS tree & re-export src/ } or { if src/ from a .iso,
   >> check your MD5, & refetch from local mirror if old }, then
   >> remake.

   Bruce> I think I explained this in a prior posting to this list,
but what happened was that the $FreeBSD$ CVS keywords didn't
get expanded the first time we tried to build a release.
mergemaster hates this, as the original poster discovered.
For this and other reasons, we considered this a showstopper
and rebuilt the release; when we did, we also needed to
modify one file and slide its CVS tag.

   Bruce> Users updating from sources (e.g. using cvsup or anon CVS)
were probably not affected by this.

In confirmation, I updated from source on Apr 4 ~2pm EST and haven't
 seen any $FreeBSD$ ids in /etc/...

I noticed when I built release 4.8 from source (using the RELENG_4_8
tag) that I had many files in src/etc (and many other parts of src)
with $FreeBSD$ ids.  After reading this thread, I thought maybe there
was bad timing with my cvsup, so I cvsupped again and checked just
before sending this message.  On my system, in both the RELENG_4_8
and RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE tags, many of the files have the bad ids.

Do I need to blow away my cvsupped src tree and bring it down again
from scratch?

--Derrick Norris