Getting X on an Ultra 10

Brian Johnson brian at netcom.duke.edu
Mon Oct 27 08:22:21 PST 2003

Hello --

My name is Brian Johnson and I'm new to both FreeBSD and this list.  I
hope I'm in the right place.

After being incredibly underwhelmed with the latest Solaris OS, I thought
I would try something different on my Sparc.  I'm a GNU/Linux person at
heart, so I already have more than enough GNU/Linux boxes around.  I
thought it would be a great time to give a FreeBSD a try.  So I have.

Before I begin, I'd like to say I've tried my best to find the answer on
my own, with no luck.  If I'm asking something already answered, my
apologies.

The hardware I'm trying this on is a stock Ultra 10.  I downloaded the
miniinstall disk for FreeBSD 5.1 and tried to install.  Once I figured out
how to navigate the menus, I selected a "Standard" install.  On the next
page, I selected all of the distributions (choices 2-9, IIRC).  On the
next screen I told it to do an FTP install.  It does its thing for a
while.  Then, I begin seeing error messages.  I believe the exact message
was "Package XFree86-FontServer not found in INDEX".  There were two or
three more XFree86 messages like that one.  Then I got another one that
said "Package wrapper not found in INDEX".  I clicked OK and let the
install continue.

When it was all said and done, I tried to configure X, but none of the X
configuration tools were installed.  I went through the finishing steps of
the installation and finally booted from the disk.  I successfully booted
to a command line, but I could not get X to go.

I thought I might have more success with 5.0.  I went through the same
steps as above, but I got an error "XFree86-4 not found in INDEX".

I'm afraid I reallly have no clue what else to try.  I downloaded the 2nd
cd for 5.1 (oddly, there is no disk1 for sparc64) thinking I could do a CD
install.  But I was never able to put in the 2nd disk and ended up losing
even more packages.

Any help in getting FreeBSD + X/GNOME working on my Ultra10 would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you for taking the time to help.

Brian Johnson