SMP kernel but no SMP detected on Tyan S2515

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sat Nov 19 16:13:41 PST 2005

Network Operations Center wrote:
> Hello,
> Just for the sake of clarity, are you *now* able to run SMP on that board?
> As the BIOS('s) go, Tyan has two that I am aware of. The most recent one
> added
> suppport UDMS(2) 66 and faster/ wider SCSI, among other things. It would
> probably
> be a good investment to re-locate your previous (un-working) BIOS back
> into the
> motherboard and flash it (up) to the newer version. Might fix what ails
> it. Also
> there is a project on SourceForge (recently updated and ruined -
> SourceForge, that
> is)
> that allows you to edit/ enhance/ repair your BIOS. I've used it quite a
> bit and
> I have found it very useful.

Yep - have an mptable, with 2 cpus detected. Relevant bits of dmesg:

MPTable: <AMI      CNB30LE     >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
.
.
.
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

With respect to the original BIOS - I'm pretty sure the one that refused
to detect an mptable was deliberately altered by the vendor, so it's not
a standard Tyan BIOS at all.

Thanks for the tip about BIOS repair/reflash - there is no need right
now - as the donor board is faulty/marginal (capacitors flaky). However,
I have two boards in such a state (S2510 and S2515), and I am
considering getting my local electronics business to see if they can
replace all the capacitors on them. If they can (and the price is not
prohibitive) then yes, I'll need to look at sorting the BIOS's out!

Cheers

Mark