SMP kernel but no SMP detected on Tyan S2515

Network Operations Center noc at 1command.com
Sat Nov 19 17:17:27 PST 2005

Hello,

Quoting Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>:

> Network Operations Center wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Just for the sake of clarity, are you *now* able to run SMP on that board?
>> As the BIOS('s) go, Tyan has two that I am aware of. The most recent
>> one added
>> suppport UDMS(2) 66 and faster/ wider SCSI, among other things. It
>> would probably
>> be a good investment to re-locate your previous (un-working) BIOS
>> back into the
>> motherboard and flash it (up) to the newer version. Might fix what
>> ails it. Also
>> there is a project on SourceForge (recently updated and ruined -
>> SourceForge, that
>> is)
>> that allows you to edit/ enhance/ repair your BIOS. I've used it
>> quite a bit and
>> I have found it very useful.
>
> Yep - have an mptable, with 2 cpus detected. Relevant bits of dmesg:
>

> MPTable: <AMI      CNB30LE     >
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
>  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
> .
> .
> .
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

Excellent!

> With respect to the original BIOS - I'm pretty sure the one that
> refused to detect an mptable was deliberately altered by the vendor,
> so it's not a standard Tyan BIOS at all.
>
> Thanks for the tip about BIOS repair/reflash - there is no need right
> now - as the donor board is faulty/marginal (capacitors flaky).
> However, I have two boards in such a state (S2510 and S2515), and I
> am considering getting my local electronics business to see if they
> can replace all the capacitors on them. If they can (and the price is
> not prohibitive) then yes, I'll need to look at sorting the BIOS's
> out!
It's a piece of cake. It souldn't cost very much at all. I've done it for
years. If you don't have a solder sucker, or any solder wick and want to
do it yourself. You can simply crush the bad capacitors with a regular
pair of pliers. Which will allow you to easily remove the "can" from the
electrolytic caps. Then you'll be left with the two wires that you need
to solder on the new ones. I know, it sounds a bit crude. But it will work
like a champ. Just remember to carefully take note of their orientation
*before* you remove them. They are DC and will immediately explode if
connected backwards and power is applied - really.

Best wishes.