Stability of RELENG_5_4 with dual Xeon

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Sun May 15 23:18:18 PDT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear people's recent experiences with Dual Xeons under
>> load with SMP on and HTT off.
>>
>> A while back there were stability problems with Dual Xeon machines.  I've
>> got one of these in production with SMP turned off for the time
>
> Do you refere to the scheduler?
>
> Use the old BSD scheduler and you should be fine.

I'm not familiar with the scheduler options.  Nothing changed from GENERIC
there.

When I comissioned the machine in February I ran RELENG_5_3 with the SMP
kernel config as supplied.  ie generic with the SMP option turned on.  No
problems surfaced during setup, but when the box went live, it was having
kernel panics about every couple of hours.  Going back to the GENERIC
kernel solved the problem.

Andrew

--

There is no way to happiness
Happiness is the way

Andrew McNaughton           http://www.scoop.co.nz/
andrew at scoop.co.nz          Mobile: +61 422 753 792

--
pgp encrypted mail welcome
keyid: 70F6C32D      keyserver: pgp.mit.edu