Cannot build or install Nessus on FreeBSD 9-beta2

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 01:29:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Michael D. Norwick
<mnorwick at centurytel.net> wrote:
> When trying to install the binary downloaded from tenable.com -
> Nessus-4.4.1-fbsd8-amd64.tbz using pkg_add it says I need to enable more bpf
> devices.  Deleting the package then attempting to install from
> /usr/ports/security/nessus results in a successful build but when nessusd is
> started it errors out on 'libz.so.5 not found'.  FreeBSD 9 is at libz.so.6.

First, nessus 4 is closed source proprietary software.  The version of
nessus in ports is version 2 which is open source.  I think you may
have a square peg round hole problem with nessus 4.  If you want to
run that, you would need to use fbsd8 as that is what it is compiled
against.

As for nessus 2 from ports, did you install the package for it, or did
you compile it?  If you compiled it, there should not be a problem.
configure should find zlib just fine.

> Security Monitoring'.  Maybe I need to fall back to FreeBSD 8.2 in order to
> be successful?  Are there other security tools which build without error on
> FreeBSD 9?

Keep in mind that 9 is beta.  So, if you are interested in things
"just working" use 8.2.  If you are willing to spend the time beta
testing, then use 9.