Cannot build or install Nessus on FreeBSD 9-beta2

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Tue Sep 27 00:55:51 UTC 2011

Good Day;

I am trying to install Nessus on a Dell Latitude laptop running FreeBSD
9-beta2.  /usr/ports was updated around 09/20/2011 and the current
source for the kernel and world were csup'd late last week.  I have
built a new kernel with debugging disabled to reduce the noise to the
terminal.  I have - device  bpf - uncommented in the config file and I
commented out unneeded device drivers.  I built a new world yesterday.
The build and install went without error.

I started this thread on freebsd-questions this morning;

Re: Trying to build nessus 4 from ports

When trying to install the binary downloaded from tenable.com -
Nessus-4.4.1-fbsd8-amd64.tbz using pkg_add it says I need to enable more
bpf devices.  Deleting the package then attempting to install from
/usr/ports/security/nessus results in a successful build but when
nessusd is started it errors out on 'libz.so.5 not found'.  FreeBSD 9 is
at libz.so.6.

I really like FreeBSD 9 on this machine but I have a work project that
involves port scanning, intrusion detection and forensics.  That is why
I am attempting to get Nessus working.  I would like the company to
purchase Nessus for business but I have to get it working on my test
network first.  I am trying to follow Mr. Richard Bejtlich's book 'The
Tao of Network Security Monitoring'.  Maybe I need to fall back to
FreeBSD 8.2 in order to be successful?  Are there other security tools
which build without error on FreeBSD 9?

Thank You

Michael