Cannot build or install Nessus on FreeBSD 9-beta2

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Tue Sep 27 02:00:29 UTC 2011

On 09/26/11 20:29, Robert Simmons wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Michael D. Norwick
> <mnorwick at centurytel.net>  wrote:
>> When trying to install the binary downloaded from tenable.com -
>> Nessus-4.4.1-fbsd8-amd64.tbz using pkg_add it says I need to enable more bpf
>> devices.  Deleting the package then attempting to install from
>> /usr/ports/security/nessus results in a successful build but when nessusd is
>> started it errors out on 'libz.so.5 not found'.  FreeBSD 9 is at libz.so.6.
> First, nessus 4 is closed source proprietary software.  The version of
> nessus in ports is version 2 which is open source.  I think you may
> have a square peg round hole problem with nessus 4.  If you want to
> run that, you would need to use fbsd8 as that is what it is compiled
> against.
>
> As for nessus 2 from ports, did you install the package for it, or did
> you compile it?  If you compiled it, there should not be a problem.
> configure should find zlib just fine.
>
>> Security Monitoring'.  Maybe I need to fall back to FreeBSD 8.2 in order to
>> be successful?  Are there other security tools which build without error on
>> FreeBSD 9?
> Keep in mind that 9 is beta.  So, if you are interested in things
> "just working" use 8.2.  If you are willing to spend the time beta
> testing, then use 9.

Good Day;

I was warned about not posting to freebsd-ports but I had already hit
the 'send' button.  I am familiar with beta versus production but I
wanted to try nessus on FreeBSD 9 because 9-beta2 was already installed,
and updated and appears to have such wonderful features.  The
/usr/ports/misc/compat8 suggestion appears to have been the answer.  The
daemon is running now.  The company will purchase Nessus for Business
but I have to prove it first.  I am just grateful that tenable has
continued to offer it on something other than windows.
I will try and make my future posts to the proper mailing list.

Thank You,
Michael