Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

Kurt Seifried listuser at seifried.org
Thu Jul 21 20:07:14 GMT 2005

Uhh you people realize sudo is COMPLEMENTARY to su? All my Linux and OpenBSD
systems (wait for it.....) have _both_ installed by default. Crazy huh? Some
example commands:

sudo ifconfig blah [enters own password]
sudo su - [enters own password]
sudo sendmail -q [enters own password]
su - [enters root password]

Whoa! what's #2? And what's #4? Holy cow!

Folks, this is by far the stupidest argument/discussion I have ever seen on
a security related mailing list (and I've been on BugTraq and
Full-Disclosure for a long time so that's saying something). sudo is
complementary to su, you can have both, and sudo has 0, repeat 0 (just to
make sure) I repeat _0_ impact on su. It does not replace su. It does not
change su's behavior. It does not break su. You can still use su as before,
your script will work as expected (I promise).

-Kurt Seifried