FW: Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jul 21 19:05:58 GMT 2005

In message <42dfd7c8.619f0abe.46ed.ffffca84 at mx.gmail.com>, Stephen Major writes:

>I really do not agree with adding it to the base system.

If sudo imported into the system doesn't do any more damage than
the filesystem space consumed, then I really cannot see any harm
being done.

If it were configured to DTRT (probably check membership the
wheel group ?) I still can't see the problem.

If sudo forces everybody to edit a config file, then there is
a problem, but I seriously doubt that is the case.

There are a lot of wise people who say that UNIX has stagnated
for 20 of the thirty years it has existed, and sometimes I'm
starting to see things from that side.

One things that increasingly irritates me is that in UNIX it takes
60 lines to open a TCP connection because nobody could agree to
adding a "nopen()" function to libc which would encapsulate
those 60 lines of code.

I see the same "spirit" at work here:

	"Dennis and Ken didn't approve of sudo, it is not documented
	in any POSIX_MISTAKE, and I never got around to get used
	to use it, so of course we cannot let it into FreeBSD!"

Minimalism is good, but taken it to far is suicidal.

Commit it!