Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

asym bsdlists at rfnj.org
Thu Jul 21 20:19:06 GMT 2005

At 16:09 7/21/2005, Kurt Seifried wrote:
>Uhh you people realize sudo is COMPLEMENTARY to su? All my Linux and
>OpenBSD systems (wait for it.....) have _both_ installed by default. Crazy
>huh? Some example commands:
>
>sudo ifconfig blah [enters own password]
>sudo su - [enters own password]
>sudo sendmail -q [enters own password]
>su - [enters root password]
>
>Whoa! what's #2? And what's #4? Holy cow!

For me, #2 and #4 are replaced by "sudo -u root sh" or some other shell,
totally obviating the need to have su at all.  I realize some people use it
in shell scripts and so on, which I will refrain from commenting on, which
would make a sudo "su" mode a requirement to have it *replace* su, much
like the various "vi" invocation implementations.

I see absolutely no reason why sudo should not be in the base system.  Not one.

I see almost as little need to make it behave as "su" when called as "su",
but I can at least see the reasoning behind it, and I also understand that
doing so would not be difficult.

>Folks, this is by far the stupidest argument/discussion I have ever seen
>on a security related mailing list (and I've been on BugTraq and
>Full-Disclosure for a long time so that's saying something).

If "myth-busting" as I've done with Stephen is "stupid" well, go ahead at
tattoo it on my forehead.  I'm from a place where education is the cure for
stupidity, not the incarnation of it.