FW: FW: FW: Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

Stephen Major smajor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 19:07:39 GMT 2005

I have grabbed some quotes from various discussions on this topic these are
other peoples opinions!

">Regarding su vs. direct login, you should use su, it doesn't give
> you much, but it does give you knowledge of who logged in as root
> and when (provided that he did not edit the logs :-)

Yes, it gives you a huge advantage, assuming you disable direct root
logins and only certain accounts are allowed to run su(1).  The advantage
is that in order to gain root access, you must compromise either a
daemon running as root, or an account capable of running su.  This
decreases your vulnerable profile, as only certain accounts can be used
to gain root privileges at all."

"> Regarding su vs. direct login, you should use su, it doesn't give
> you much, but it does give you knowledge of who logged in as root
> and when (provided that he did not edit the logs :-)
And if you follow up by disabling direct root logins, you now must first
authenticate as a user in order to attempt to guess the root password,
and you get those attempts logged. That's a bigger win than logging
successful root logins IMO :-)

The biggest advantage of sudo, though, is less security-related and more
"what did that admin do at 3 am?". Because sudo logs every command, you
can see just what was done. Obviously, a malicious user could circumvent
this most if not all of the time, but it can be great for seeing what
was done with good intentions."

"Understand I am NOT arguing against sudo.  Properly setup, it's
a wonderful tool for giving the power you want to sub-admins and
even co-admins get benefit from using it.  But that doesn't mean
that I'd lock myself out of root entirely as Apple has done.  This
is an area where they did it wrong, just like having tcsh as the
default shell."

And beyond that how many holes you going to create by replacing su with sudo
just because some admin does not know how to configure it correctly?

I too understand the usefulness of the tool but do not replace su with it,
many of us like su and how it operates. My servers for instance have 2
accounts in the wheel group, and su to root is perfect for that application.