FW: FW: Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

asym bsdlists at rfnj.org
Thu Jul 21 19:03:47 GMT 2005

At 14:41 7/21/2005, Stephen Major wrote:

>Sudo requires extra configuration that su does not.
>
>Why should I have to waste my time configuring another app just because a
>handful of people want it? I like su and how it works and I guarantee I am
>not the only one. You want it replaced replace it your self
>cd /usr/ports/security/sudo && make install clean
>
>That simple! Don't waste our time because you want something to be easier
>for you

No such implication exists.  Your claim is baseless.

If sudo WERE included in the base system, the default configuration COULD
be setup to mimic the very simplistic behavior of su.  Hence, you would
have to do absolutely nothing, it would only save work.

I agree that if sudo is to be called as su (via symlink) as someone else
pointed out, then it should behave the same way, but that's a simple thing
to do even if sudo doesn't currently support it.  I don't know, I only use
su long enough to install my "must haves" like sudo, then never again.