FW: FW: Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 21 18:55:07 GMT 2005

On Jul 21, "Stephen Major" wrote:

> Sudo requires extra configuration that su does not.
>
> Why should I have to waste my time configuring another app just because a
> handful of people want it? I like su and how it works and I guarantee I am
> not the only one. You want it replaced replace it your self
> cd /usr/ports/security/sudo && make install clean
>
> That simple! Don't waste our time because you want something to be easier
> for you

Last week I had to do a little work on a 1980's AT&T Unix box.  I'm glad
that yours isn't the only opinion that has shaped the evolution of unix,
or else I'd probably still be using such OSes all day!

Sudo is a great tool, and adding it as part of the base system would be
a great way to advance the FreeBSD security and usability baseline.  After
time, maybe enough people would start using sudo in place of su and it
would be time to consider retiring su...a process that has happened
thousands of times as a natural part of an evolving OS.

Mike