script problem

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:12:14 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 4:30 AM Norman Gray <norman.gray at glasgow.ac.uk> wrote:

> Antonio, hello.
>
> On 22 Apr 2021, at 0:56, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
> > The book gets created, but the file torus.mp fails to build.  The m3D
> > files, I have put the files m3D* on the same directory and the
> > picins.sty.
> > The question is how the metapost files get processed by the script.
> > Something changed because the script did run the metapost files and
> > got
> > their output and them latex'd the source files and it worked in
> > FreeBSD 12
> > but not in FreeBSD 13.  I do not know what causes this?
> >
> > I had to
> > $ for i in *.mp ; TEX=latex mpost "$i": done;
>
> I think that, in this case, you'd be better with
>
> export TEX=latex
> for f in fig*.mp; do mpost $f; done
>
> That is, only process the fig*.mp files, and skip the torus.mp file,
> which appears to be the only one which uses the m3D macros.
>
> (setting TEX is for the benefit of mpost, as it specifies the language
> used for the btex...etex calls within the .mp files.)
>
> If, after that, I do
>
>      latex calc3book
>
> then I have to ignore the error message about the missing torus.0 (you
> could probably comment this call out in the sources), and I get an error
> about a missing \bf command
>
> I can add \let\bf\relax to the top of calc3book.tex (after the
> \documentclass line), and comment out the includegraphics{torus.0} from
> calcbook-chapter4.tex
>
>      latex calc3book
>      bibtex calc3book
>      latex calc3book.tex
>      makeindex -s myindex.ist -o calc3book.ind calc3book.idx
>      makeindex calc3book.nlo -s nomencl.ist -o calc3book.nls
>      latex calc3book.tex
>      dvips -j0 -t letter -Pps -G0 -z calc3book.dvi -o
>      ps2pdf14 -dALLOWPSTRANSPARENCY -dMaxSubsetPct=100
> -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer
> calc3book.ps
>
> ...then produces a PDF (which appears to be a decent-looking book, by
> the way).
>
> So the version problem you discovered is that the current TeXLive mpost
> is too new for the m3D macros, and the current version of scrbook is too
> new for the document (which uses obsolete \bf).  I think it would be
> useful for you to report both problems to the book's author, as well as
> (apparent) success in using TeXLive 2021 to process the book.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Norman
>

> --
> Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
> SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK

Dear Sir,

Your solution works much better because it does not process the files
from m3D*.  I copied them and pasted them in the same directory along
with picins.sty.

> export TEX=latex
> for f in fig*.mp; do mpost $f; done

I commented out the torus.1 in chapter4*.tex file and it compiles
fine, with the exception of that file.  Thank you very much for your
help.

Best Regards,

Antonio