Request for Clarification - Definition of Import

Paul Severini paul_severini at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 17:25:51 UTC 2021

Support,

Do you have any documentation that describes or defines the term “import” used in the statement below? Does this also refer to custom developed products (i.e.  licensed 3rd party)  that are maintained and deployed on top of the FreeBSD system? I am specifically referring to applications/products that are not meant to replace the core functionality of FreeBSD. Does this statement only refer to the FreeBSD source code?

The import of new software licensed under any licenses other than the BSD license and BSD-Like Licenses (as defined below) requires the prior approval of the FreeBSD Core Team. Requests for import must include:

  *   A list of features or bug fixes that the new version or patches contain, along with evidence that our users need those features. PRs or references to mailing list discussions are ideal forms of evidence.
  *   This process should be used for all software imports, not just those that require Core Team review. The mere existence of a new version does not justify an import of software to source or ports.
  *   A list of FreeBSD branches that may be affected. Expansions of scope require a new request to and approval from the FreeBSD Core Team.

Thank you.

Paul Severini