script problem

Norman Gray norman.gray at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 09:30:03 UTC 2021

Antonio, hello.

On 22 Apr 2021, at 0:56, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> The book gets created, but the file torus.mp fails to build.  The m3D
> files, I have put the files m3D* on the same directory and the
> picins.sty.
> The question is how the metapost files get processed by the script.
> Something changed because the script did run the metapost files and
> got
> their output and them latex'd the source files and it worked in
> FreeBSD 12
> but not in FreeBSD 13.  I do not know what causes this?
>
> I had to
> $ for i in *.mp ; TEX=latex mpost "$i": done;

I think that, in this case, you'd be better with

export TEX=latex
for f in fig*.mp; do mpost $f; done

That is, only process the fig*.mp files, and skip the torus.mp file,
which appears to be the only one which uses the m3D macros.

(setting TEX is for the benefit of mpost, as it specifies the language
used for the btex...etex calls within the .mp files.)

If, after that, I do

     latex calc3book

then I have to ignore the error message about the missing torus.0 (you
could probably comment this call out in the sources), and I get an error
about a missing \bf command

I can add \let\bf\relax to the top of calc3book.tex (after the
\documentclass line), and comment out the includegraphics{torus.0} from
calcbook-chapter4.tex

     latex calc3book
     bibtex calc3book
     latex calc3book.tex
     makeindex -s myindex.ist -o calc3book.ind calc3book.idx
     makeindex calc3book.nlo -s nomencl.ist -o calc3book.nls
     latex calc3book.tex
     dvips -j0 -t letter -Pps -G0 -z calc3book.dvi -o
     ps2pdf14 -dALLOWPSTRANSPARENCY -dMaxSubsetPct=100
-dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer
calc3book.ps

...then produces a PDF (which appears to be a decent-looking book, by
the way).

So the version problem you discovered is that the current TeXLive mpost
is too new for the m3D macros, and the current version of scrbook is too
new for the document (which uses obsolete \bf).  I think it would be
useful for you to report both problems to the book's author, as well as
(apparent) success in using TeXLive 2021 to process the book.

Good luck!

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk