fresh server sendmail or postfix / webmail.

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Sep 17 11:43:40 UTC 2020

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 10:44:46 +0000, Marwan Sultan stated:
>Dear FreeBSDer,
>
>Good day/evening.
>
>I have up and running mail server with some web apps, server running
>since many years back until today (7-Release, 🙂 ) its time to move to
>a new server! thank you freebsd!
>
>for the new server:
>1.
>is it really important to change MTA to postfix or any other MTA than
>sendmail ? or send mail is enough. (my existing old server is on
>sendmail) its a Mail server !
>
>if yes,  is installing postfix from /ports enough?
>
>2.
>any recommendation for a webmail ? (maybe roundcube) ?
>(on my old server openwebmail works great! but unfortunately, its
>outdated)

Personally, I would recommend 'postfix'. It is actively being developed
and its email forum is the best that I have seen.

The applications itself is fairly easy to configure. If you need
something more complicated, the mail forum has lots of extremely
knowledgeable people who can assist you. If you need 'sasl' support, and
you very likely do, then there is the /usr/ports/mail/postfix-sasl
port. Plus, posfix interacts perfectly with 'dovecot'.

--
Jerry