fresh server sendmail or postfix / webmail.

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:00:51 UTC 2020

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 6:37 AM, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 10:44:46 +0000, Marwan Sultan stated:
>> Dear FreeBSDer,
>>
>> Good day/evening.
>>
>> I have up and running mail server with some web apps, server running
>> since many years back until today (7-Release, 🙂 ) its time to move to
>> a new server! thank you freebsd!
>>
>> for the new server:
>> 1.
>> is it really important to change MTA to postfix or any other MTA than
>> sendmail ? or send mail is enough. (my existing old server is on
>> sendmail) its a Mail server !
>>
>> if yes,  is installing postfix from /ports enough?
>>
>> 2.
>> any recommendation for a webmail ? (maybe roundcube) ?
>> (on my old server openwebmail works great! but unfortunately, its
>> outdated)
>
> Personally, I would recommend 'postfix'. It is actively being developed
> and its email forum is the best that I have seen.

I too would recommend postfix. I use it since forever. As webmail I gave my users choice: squirrelmail and roundcube. Spam filtering is a mus (for us at lest), I set up maia with mysql backend for settings and quarantene. Alas, I was unable to make quarantene part work qith postgresql which would be my first choice. Maia allows per user spam preferences. It has its integrated part spamassassing, and works with virus scanners, and distributed spam databases. But installation, or rather configuration is a bit finiky. IMAP part is dovecot.

Good luck!

Valeri