Please help with Apache virtual servers and DNS trouble (I think)

freebsd at boosten.org freebsd at boosten.org
Fri Nov 20 19:38:42 UTC 2020

>> What do you mean with ’subdomain’? A subdomain would mean something like
>> 'servers.dalescott.net' in your case, and your mantisbt server would then be
>> reachable as mantisbt.servers.dalescott.net. So please elaborate.
>
> Networking is not my strength ; IIUC my tld is dalescott.net, and I am using subdomains
> www, mantisbt, timetracker... or fully qualified www.dalescott.net, mantisbt.dalescott.net,
> timetracker.dalescott.net, etc. Is my terminology incorrect?

Yes, tld (Top Level Domain) = .net. Your domain name is dalescort.net, and ‘www’ (and others) are called hosts (which in DNS terminology are either A records or CNAMEs, if they refer to another A record).

> Also, fwiw, from my httpd.conf:
>
> Listen 80
> ServerName www.dalescott.net:80
>
> and my typical vhost entry in httpd-vhosts.com:
>
> <VirtualHost mantisbt.dalescott.net:80>
>    DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/mantisbt"
>    <Directory "/usr/local/www/mantisbt">
>        allow from all
>        Options None
>        Require all granted
>    </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

I think you need a ServerName directive in your VirtualHost setup, so in the above example ServerName mantisbt.dalescott.net <http://mantisbt.dalescott.net/>. Without that directive my hosts don’t work.

Peter

—
It never hurts to help — Eek!