Centralized user/group/whatever management

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Fri Mar 13 09:19:33 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Do you think there exists a modern solution for centralized user/group/...
management compatible with FreeBSD and Linux?

I have experience using NIS on FreeBSD for many years, but NIS is really very
dated, not very secure, depends on the NIS servers being reachable all the
time, depends on Sun RPC (portmapper, dynamic ports) and has other
drawbacks. I know this from experience.

Are there any modern solutions for FreeBSD hosts to have at least a common
user/userid/group/groupid database, or maybe even more centralized goodies?

I've been told that Linux has FreeIPA, but I think it's not fully
compatible with FreeBSD, and besides security/sssd wants so many
dependencies (even MIT Kerberos as if FreeBSD's built-in Kerberos is not
good enough).

Any success stories?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN