Mailing List Etiquette was freebsd vs. netbsd

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Sun Jun 14 08:06:04 UTC 2020

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 03:08:42 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>Any MUA that arbitrarily reformats text is too smart for its own good
>and fundamentally broken in a critical way.

Yesno!

The MUA could wrap the lines on demand, so long lines for code are not
wrapped by default.

I add two actions to claws mail

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat .claws-mail/actionsrc | tail -2
Wrap lines: |fmt -s -w 75|
Unwrap lines: cat %f

actually I _never_ use them. However, it's usually possible to
configure a MUA, sometimes it's useful, especially if there should be no
windows that could be resized ;).

If resizeable windows are used, then lines should get wrapped. Indeed,
for code, logs etc. scrolling would be better.

However, the main point is and I agree with this, a MUA most not
reformat a message by default.