Flowed text

Kurt Hackenberg kh at panix.com
Sun Jun 14 22:45:08 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-14 04:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> Any MUA that arbitrarily reformats text is too smart for its own
>> good and fundamentally broken in a critical way.
>
> Yesno!
>
> The MUA could wrap the lines on demand, so long lines for code are
> not wrapped by default.

Or a message could contain information about whether lines should be
filled and word-wrapped. Like this message you're reading, for example.
It's text/plain format=flowed (RFC 3676). The English text is marked to
be filled and word-wrapped on display. The C program at the end is not.

Unfortunately, not many mail readers implement text/plain format=flowed.
Thunderbird does; Mutt has partial support; an obscure mail reader named
Trojita does. There may be others I don't know about.

Here's a picture of how Thunderbird displays this message:
<http://www.panix.com/~kh/tmp/msg.png>

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[])
{
     for (;;)
     {
         printf("Yes!\n");