Mailing List Etiquette was freebsd vs. netbsd

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 07:08:57 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 1:38 AM @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2020, at 09:44, Kevin P. Neal <kpn at neutralgood.org> wrote:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/mailing-list-faq/etiquette.html#idp44832888
>
> >> Seems very out of date too me. For example the first thing it says is
> to wrap messages at 75 characters  because not everyone uses GUI mailers.
> This may have been relevant in 1995, but it sure isn’t now. CLI MUA’s
> handle long lines just fine.
>
> > If you had wrapped at 75 characters then the quoting would be much
> easier to read.
>
> Then your MUA is very poor at its job.

Any MUA that arbitrarily reformats text is too smart for its own good and
fundamentally broken in a critical way.    When sending code snippets it is
*CRITICAL* that white space not be modified in any way.   Some languages
(like Python) will even not work or produce buggy code if your indents
(white spaces) are wrong.   Note I consider Python too smart for its own
good for this reason but it makes it even  more important the MUA *NOT*
mess with the message in *ANYWAY*.