Optane Memory

Donald Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:52:17 UTC 2020

On 6/9/20, Donald Wilde <dwilde1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/20, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>> I am seriously thinking about purchasing another PC to play around
>> with. My question is does FreeBSD support Intel's Optane Memory?

[snip]

> I'd like to know this too. In-memory-space Optane should only be a
> matter of supportin gthe timings of Optane and its write cycle, which
> is much like FLASH. Another question would be about Optane-based
> accelerator/caching boards that Intel has been selling.
>
> I haven't worked for Intel for several years now, so I do not know if
> these are still current products but it seems so from a cursory
> search. The caching products alone should really speed up web and
> network servers, so IMHO this is a must-have for FreeBSD.

I will have reason to start buying rack-based servers for a large
project within the next quarter and I can see directing those server
purchases to Optane-equipped SuperMicros like
https://www.storagereview.com/review/supermicro-superserver-with-intel-optane-dc-persistent-memory-first-look-review,
although I'll almost certainly go for a higher-end unit than the one
in this quoted review.

We can use a couple of them as validation mules.

--
Don Wilde