Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sat Jul 25 05:54:46 UTC 2020

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 7/24/20 4:28 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> > On 2020-07-24 10:50, Christos Chatzaras wrote:
> >
> > > I use jails for multiple PHP versions and I prefer it this way
> > > because it's a neat method and keeps my main system "clean" from
> > > EOLed PHP versions.
> >
> > I always install PHP only in jails, as it keeps my system "clean" of
> > something for which there's always a security hole being announced in a
> > few days :)
> >

> I fully agree with you. The whole flame war of this thread is between "I
> want my system just work and have everything without effort" and "I want my
> system really secure".

Incorrect conclusion. The issues of live detection of Amazon EBS volumes
(without reboot), or the lack of native docker, or the lack of advanced
Zabbix monitoring are in no way related to ease of use or real security.

And there is nothing wrong with "a system that just works" because
when it comes to industrial use, you need scalability and as little
manual labour as possible, not a gem you polish as a hobby.

PS I'm aware that Colin Percival is working on EBS volumes hotplug, new
AMIs for different architectures and other virtualization issues, and I
even support him a little on Patreon. Probably this is just due to
lack of financial and human resources that FreeBSD being technologically
brilliant now lacks that and that and that...

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/