(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 30 19:15:58 UTC 2020

> On Aug 30, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 17:21:26 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>>>
>>> Rule: "Better have 100 photos and select 10 good ones, instead
>>> of having only 10 photos which are all crap." ;-)
>>
>> The averaged 36 photos and then replacing the film cartridge gave
>> holiday as well as professional photographers the opportunity to think.
>> They not necessarily used this opportunity, let alone that some used
>> very long films for way more than 36 photos.
>>

> Completely incorrect about professional photography (at least after
> autowinders became available):

I know loose cannon will unleash on me, but I still can not hold it.

My observation about professionals (in any profession, not just a photography) is: they do posses excellent set of skills, and they simultaneously recognize that there are other professionals in this same field who posselearningss some skills they don’t. Doesn’t mean someone is better or worse. Anybody declaring in one way or another he/she is the one with correct/best professional skills immediately sets the flag for me as quite likely not actually being an expert.

That is akin well known stages of learning:

1. I don’t know anything
2. I know something
3. I know everything
4. I know quite a lot but not everything
5. I know a lot, and I know what I know and what I don’t know

The last (5) is equivalent of an expert (I am just replacing the word “professional” by what it implies), whereas (3) though quite likely to declare being an expert, most likely is not.

Those are my humble observations. Of a person never considering oneself an expert, though often knowing what I know and what I don’t.

Valeri