(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 07:37:17 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:30 AM Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:22 AM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 08:58:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> >I guess not many people really need a multi-boot with more than 3 or 4
>> >operating systems, that require a primary partition and not many
>> >private persons really need to store more than 2 TB/disk.
>>                                                 ^^
>>                                                 This should read "2 TB
>>                                                 of data/disk"
>>
>> 2 TB are a lot and we could use 2 or more drives.
>>
>> I can't comment on server farms, but we probably waste a lot of
>> resources to store selfie videos, showing people taking selfie photos.
>> Maybe all the useful data stored by one or the other server farm could
>> be stored even on a 1 TB drive. I suspect that most stored digital data
>> nowadays is nothing but digital waste.
>>

> Waste is in the eye of the beholder.   For example my kitchen trash is
> clearly a waste to me but to ConEd it is fuel to keep my lights on.
> Depends on what you have and why for example I tend to download a lot of
> videos of long train trips (looking out the front window) because the
> videos are quite hypnotic and thus good meditation/sleep aids, but watching
> the same video over and over again is not enough variety for the effect to
> work, same with ads if you watch them on youtube.   Therefore I have over 1
> TB of train videos (about 40 of them) and am always fighting to find more
> room for the next really cool one I find.   Almost these are 4k @ 60 fps so
> they are not light on disk space.
>
> Professionally 2 TB would only hold about 6 months of EKG data for the
> patient load we have and the law requires us to keep them for 2 years.

I should note the professional case is not a hypothetical either since
running out of room in the partition to backup the DB for the above case is
what triggered this thread (the OS that I left unnamed is centos and the DB
is 65 GB so backing it up is fun [and yes triggered by the ISP I was
complaining about a while ago being jerks]).