(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sun Aug 30 07:39:14 UTC 2020

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 08:58:48 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net> wrote:

> There's no need to take 10 shots/second of a still life and to repeat
> it 20 times, to end up with 200 photos.

	No there isn't, taking many shots and selecting the best has of
course long been standard practice for professional photographers digital
cameras and modern memory sizes just make it possible to carry this to
extremes.

<drifting to your other point about digital wastage elsethread>

	The thing is data storage is cheap and plentiful these days, the
old habits of keeping filesystems clean are long since past relevance.
There's probably a couple of terabytes of data on my NAS that may never be
looked at again (old films for example) but it costs almost nothing to keep
it while it would cost time and decision making to clean it up and there's
plenty of capacity on the NAS for years to come - I have better things to
do with my time and decision making capacity, by the time the capacity is
getting to be an issue I'll be wanting to replace the drives anyway and
bigger ones will be cheap (they already are).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>