(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 07:30:21 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:22 AM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 08:58:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >I guess not many people really need a multi-boot with more than 3 or 4
> >operating systems, that require a primary partition and not many
> >private persons really need to store more than 2 TB/disk.
>                                                 ^^
>                                                 This should read "2 TB
>                                                 of data/disk"
>
> 2 TB are a lot and we could use 2 or more drives.
>
> I can't comment on server farms, but we probably waste a lot of
> resources to store selfie videos, showing people taking selfie photos.
> Maybe all the useful data stored by one or the other server farm could
> be stored even on a 1 TB drive. I suspect that most stored digital data
> nowadays is nothing but digital waste.

Waste is in the eye of the beholder.   For example my kitchen trash is
clearly a waste to me but to ConEd it is fuel to keep my lights on.
Depends on what you have and why for example I tend to download a lot of
videos of long train trips (looking out the front window) because the
videos are quite hypnotic and thus good meditation/sleep aids, but watching
the same video over and over again is not enough variety for the effect to
work, same with ads if you watch them on youtube.   Therefore I have over 1
TB of train videos (about 40 of them) and am always fighting to find more
room for the next really cool one I find.   Almost these are 4k @ 60 fps so
they are not light on disk space.

Professionally 2 TB would only hold about 6 months of EKG data for the
patient load we have and the law requires us to keep them for 2 years.

So 2 TB is quite common these days for storage needs.   Especially seeing
there some games that require 50 GB just to be installed.

Split it over several OS's and the problem is obvious.