5.25" Floppy disk drive not recognized

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Fri Aug 14 13:40:59 UTC 2020

Fine. There may be many solutions. Actually I’m trying to use the tools I have nd not buy extra hard- and software.

I might also buy a used ISA-bus computer with a VGA Monitor :)

FreeBSD always has been  a good platform to experiment at low level.

Meanwhile I’ve proceeded a bit as can be seen in a previous post. Only this is a riddle to me:

# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=fd_dump
dd: /dev/fd0: Device not configured
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.000262 secs (0 bytes/sec)

Also # cat /dev/fd0 >dump
cat: /dev/fd0: Device not configured

Why?

I recall there were devices like

fd.360
fd.1200
fd.1440

or some such in earlier times where you could choose the right device.

Also using mtools gives me similar messages:

# mdir
plain_io: Device not configured
init A: could not read boot sector
Cannot initialize 'A:'