Ansible for FreeBSD - use cases?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 7 06:57:22 UTC 2019

On 07/10/2019 05:28, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> If I have packages in multiple jails, can ansible help me keep them all
> up-to-date? Without sshd inside jails?

Yes.  Ansible has a 'jail connector' which effectively lets you use
jexec(8) to run programs within your jails.  It has some limitations:

   - you can only run ansible on the host system to access jails on the
same machine

   - you have to run ansible as root

Aside from that, basically you can do anything with ansible inside a
jail that you could do by ssh'ing in.

There is an improved version of the jail connector floating around on
GitHub which those limitations -- see
https://github.com/austinhyde/ansible-sshjail

Of course, pkg(8) also has native functionality for managing packages in
jails. eg:

    pkg -j jailname update

	Cheers,

	Matthew