I've got a major question...

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Wed Jun 26 20:22:14 UTC 2019

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019, Alejandro Imass wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:57:54 -0700, Allen Schaaf wrote:
>>

> [...]
>

>> Backup strategies benefit from this approach, too. And FreeBSD
>> is actually a great foundation to achieve this.
>>

> Agreed for the server side, but FreeBSD may not be the right choice for
> desktop replacement of Windows.

I'm only addressing this point. If your organization decides to use FreeBSD for
servers, are you going to totally out source maintenance of those systems? If
not I think you would be well served to use FreeBSD workstations because That
group will have/develop the expertise to update/maintain the server farm.

Using OS/X or Ubuntu would be, I think, a better choice than windows. Otherwise
you will by necessity have to use windows 10. I find windows 10 is less
responsive and at least with the Dell I have, running windows 10 maintenance is
tricky. License costs as previously noted are an issue.

You are almost surly going to engage a firm to implement the server setup and/or
applications. Their advice on this will be much better. This is a pretty large
effort you will need an in-house manager to handle project management and guide
you in all the decisions/choices that will come up along the way.

The only draw back I have hit in running FreeBSD workstations is wifi support
and some video cards. The firm you engage should be knowledgeable in this.