I've got a major question...

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 27 06:21:11 UTC 2019

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 16:22:05 -0400 (EDT), doug at safeport.com wrote:
> The only draw back I have hit in running FreeBSD workstations is wifi support
> and some video cards. The firm you engage should be knowledgeable in this.

Here is something I'd like to add: USB security tokens. Certain models
require specific drivers only available for "Windows 10" (see problems
discussed before) and a buggy equivalent for Linux. No macOS support.
In case you should require those, experimenting with wine (or a VM with
a "single-purpose" installation of "Windows") might be worth looking at.

>From my experience, WiFi was never a problem because workstations were
all networked with cable, and video cards, well, the brand and model
that supported the BrookTree interface provided by FreeBSD was chosen
for purchase. Problems solved. ;-)

Yes, of course I know that you cannot always buy something new, and
instead have to deal with "we must use what we have" problems. That's
why proper testing is needed _before_ the transition starts.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany