I've got a major question...

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jun 25 05:10:03 UTC 2019

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:32:02 -0700, Allen Schaaf wrote:
> The issues are that we have to be able to connect to external
> systems, corporate credit unions, ADP payroll, Mercury Mod
> (record keeping) and our burglar alarm system as well as a couple
> of other smaller systems.

How do you connect to those? I assume the majority of services
offer a web interface, so any web browser should be fine as long
as the provider wasn't too stupid in implementing the servers
(cf. messed up browser brand and version detection instead of
reasonable feature detection).

It might be possible that you will be required to run certain
programs that are only available for current "Windows" versions.
Test them with wine first. In some cases, this will work, if
the program is not that obese or picky. ;-)

> I'm not sure about how to go about
> making sure that the system we will operate at our end will
> connect to their end so I'm looking for some help and advice.

My free advice is to test first. Build a test system with FreeBSD
and make a checklist of all things that need to work. Test them,
first with native solutions, and if those don't exist ("We do not
support this 'Linux', we have no idea what it is.") try wine. In
worst case, a virtualized environment for one specific application
can also be helpful; data exchange can happen via virtual network.

> Can you suggest people to connect to as well as a path forward?

I'm sure there are providers of FreeBSD consulting services reading
this list who will be able to offer you a good deal.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany