I've got a major question...

Allen Schaaf netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Tue Jun 25 19:37:03 UTC 2019

On 6/24/2019 10:09 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:32:02 -0700, Allen Schaaf wrote:
>> The issues are that we have to be able to connect to external
>> systems, corporate credit unions, ADP payroll, Mercury Mod
>> (record keeping) and our burglar alarm system as well as a couple
>> of other smaller systems.
> How do you connect to those? I assume the majority of services
> offer a web interface, so any web browser should be fine as long
> as the provider wasn't too stupid in implementing the servers
> (cf. messed up browser brand and version detection instead of
> reasonable feature detection).
>
> It might be possible that you will be required to run certain
> programs that are only available for current "Windows" versions.
> Test them with wine first. In some cases, this will work, if
> the program is not that obese or picky. ;-)
I'm not familiar with wine. Where would you suggest I get the
info needed?
>> I'm not sure about how to go about
>> making sure that the system we will operate at our end will
>> connect to their end so I'm looking for some help and advice.
> My free advice is to test first. Build a test system with FreeBSD
> and make a checklist of all things that need to work. Test them,
> first with native solutions, and if those don't exist ("We do not
> support this 'Linux', we have no idea what it is.") try wine. In
> worst case, a virtualized environment for one specific application
> can also be helpful; data exchange can happen via virtual network.
Absolutely. My goal is to test in parallel for at least a couple
of months. It's a bit tricky to do this as one can not enter the
data twice. My thinking is to, first of all, create a couple of
duplicate accounts - same person but assigned a different account
number with a note as to which one is entered with which system.

>> Can you suggest people to connect to as well as a path forward?
> I'm sure there are providers of FreeBSD consulting services reading
> this list who will be able to offer you a good deal.
Thanks,

Allen

---