how to upgrade mysql56-server to mysql57-server?

Bruce Cantrall bcantrall at barracuda.com
Wed Jul 17 14:49:10 UTC 2019

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 05:06:50 +0100
From: tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net<mailto:tech-lists at zyxst.net>>
>The default version of mysql/mysqld changed from 5.6 to 5.7 on 20190701.
>The problem now is that if "pkg upgrade" is run, mysql-client is
>upgraded and the existing mysql(56)-server is *removed*.
>mysql57-server is not installed.

We had an issue with a mixed case database that caused us to do some more steps because we got other errors when starting mysql-server.   This is what worked for my FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p11 box.

  1.  Re-install mysql-server5.7 after uninstalled by moodle
     *   pkg  install mysql57-server
  2.  Verify there is a my.cnf file in /usr/local/etc/
  3.  Remove the new one in /usr/local/etc/mysql/my.cnf
  4.  Add the following line to the bottom of /usr/local/etc/my.cnf
     *   lower_case_table_names = 0
  5.  Comment out any myISAM lines

     *   #key-buffer-size                = 32M
     *   #myisam-recover                 = FORCE,BACKUP
  1.  Start mysql server

     *   service mysql-server start
  1.  Tail log file /var/db/mysql/

     *   /var/db/mysql/dataloglp1/mysql-error.log
  1.  Run mysql_upgrade

     *   mysql_upgrade -uroot -p
     *   Should complete without errors.
  1.  Restart mysql server

     *   service mysql-server restart

Can anyone else confirm that they seen my.cnf in multiple directories?
Bruce C

Forrester names Barracuda WAF a Strong Performer!
Get the free report here!
https://www.barracuda.com/WAFWave

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and any attachments to it contain confidential and proprietary material of Barracuda, its affiliates or agents, and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed.