Configuring as Router

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Jul 11 14:10:01 UTC 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 10:13:58 +0530
Vishwas Sabbani <vishwassabbani at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 12.0 release. I want to configure it as a router. I've

	There are a number of options depending on what kind of router you
want. Assuming you mean a domestic or SOHO edge router to a service with a
single IP allocation you will need to set up:

NAT/Firewall: ipfw or pf can be used - there are many recipes online for pf
configurations, just make sure you understand the one you use.

DHCP/DNS: Install dnsmasq and set it up.

Media server, 'personal cloud' and similar services can also be set up
(many options), personally I like to keep my edge router down to routing,
NAT and firewall and run all the services elsewhere on the LAN.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>