Configuring as Router

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 11 11:04:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:07:39 -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:13:58AM +0530, Vishwas Sabbani wrote:
> > I am using FreeBSD 12.0 release. I want to configure it as a router. I've
> > been trying it and searched in various sites but nothing works for me. It
> > will be really helpful if you explain me the overall process. Waiting for
> > your reply.
>
> This handbook article should cover it.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-routing.html
>
> You may want to use NAT in conjunction with routing (since it is
> thought of in the same in many people's minds), which is covered here
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html
>
> If you are looking for dynamic routing protocols, I'd suggest using
> the port net/bird for OSPF, BGP, etc.

In addition, many of those "combined routing and NAT systems"
also use DHCP to assign IP addresses to clients. In case this
is also important to you, read chapter 29.6.2., "Installing
and Configuring a DHCP Server", of The FreeBSD Handbook.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dhcp.html

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany