how to install into a directory

hw hw at adminart.net
Fri Aug 9 14:26:07 UTC 2019

MJ <mafsys1234 at gmail.com> writes:

> You have read the handbook?
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html
>
> Specifically:
>
> 5.6.2. Configuring Remote Access
>
> ??
>
> That's if I understand your musings correctly?

There is no remote access involved.  I am PXE booting diskless clients
so that users can use xfreerdp to create sessions on and work on an xrdp
server.

That means when a client boots, it needs to automatically start a local
X session in order to run xfreerdp.  The idea was to use XDM on the
client so a user can log in.  Once the user has logged in, XDM needs to
start xfreerdp (which creates the problem that the user would have to
log in to the server again).

I haven't been able to figure out how to make XDM start xfreerdp at
all.  So I have them log in at the console with their shell set to
startx instead.