thunderbird in German?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 3 02:27:18 UTC 2019

On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 22:10:56 +0200, hw wrote:
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 01:22:42 +0200, hw wrote:
> >> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:
> >>

> > [...]
> >
> > If I remember correctly, $LANG has precedence over $LC_* if set.
> > However, I'm not sure every program conforms to this rule... and
> > I'm questioning Mozilla software following established rules and
> > consensus. ;-)
>
> Right, the programmers seem to be stupd kids who can't do anything but
> play with dumbphones.

My impression is that programmers often don't care. While it has
been good practice for decades to use -Wall and its equivalents,
it doesn't seem to be important anymore. Compile time errors and
warnings are irrelevant just as runtime warnings and errors. You
can easily verify this by launching any "modern" Gtk or Qt program
from a terminal, say, Firefox, Gimp, and so on. I also see this
attitude applies to documentation, which is scattered across the
web, in wikis, user pages, discussion forums, outdated project
pages and so on. Even program sets intended for professional use
such as The SleuthKit have moved their documentation online, which
makes it inaccessible (!) in certain circumstances, especially
security-related ones where you are not permitted to connect to
outside (online) resources. In such a situation, "man mencoder"
was really helpful (I had to deal with those special circumstances
for a few times, it's not pretty).

Churning out new versions and new features often seems to be
more important that fixing bugs or working against bad decisions.
Doing it right for everyone is impossible, I know, but a certain
amount of "good old common sense" should be applied more. :-)

> Be careful or we will be called trolls.  Nowadays, you just /have/ to
> click on all the like buttons regardless how much something sucks;
> otherwise you're a troll.

I will remember that, so people don't start feeding me. ;-)

> > Because it's left to the users to find out how to do "nonstandard"
> > things like intending to change the interface language. Because
> > all the world only the English always! ;-)
>
> and right handed, of course

Remember that traditional X (and X applications using the XMotif
and Xaw / Xaw3d toolkits, if I remember correctly) provides a
"/ shaped" mouse pointer (instead of the traditional \ one), and
it can be enabled with "xsetroot -cursor_name right_ptr". However,
some programs use their own mouse pointer, and it will change
as soon as you point into such a window...

> But when you use the trackball with your left hand, [...]

That's entirely wrong. You don't use a trackball because it
does not exist. Everyone uses a mouse (old people) or taps on
the screen (young people). ;-)

> [...] you suddenly notice
> how wrong all the GUIs are designed.  The old X programs can have the
> scroll bar on the left no problem, but all the new stuff is so great
> because it's immature and you have to click the like buttons nonetheless
> (even if you can't reach them because they're at odd locations).

This is called "to explore". ;-)

> >> Is there a usable alternative to Thunderbird for an IMAP client?
> >
> > Yes, Sylpheed is a lightweight and still very convenient and
> > usable MUA. It supports IMAP (as well as SMTP and POP3, which
> > is so obvious that I don't need to mention it).
>
> Hm.  I'll try that out, thanks.  If that is in German, the users can
> decide what causes them more confusion: the same program they're used to
> in English but German or a new program they've never used, but in German.

Sylpheed is in any language you want (English and German verified),
depending on what $LC_* says.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany