FBSD 11.2 on VMWare ESXi

Jim Pazarena fquest at paz.bz
Tue Apr 16 03:07:20 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-15 5:55 PM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> My first exploration of FreeBSD on ESXi has been a bit challenging .
>
> While my network runs fine on vmx0 , FreeBSD doesn't seem acknowledge
> the existence of vmx1, vmx2, or vmx3 . But they do . I have a CentOS vm
> which is happy on a different vswitch .
>
> Is there anything special about FreeBSD 'seeing' additional vswitches ?
> I am using ESXi 6.7.0 8169922 , and I just downloaded an 'update 2' of
> 6.7.0 .
>
> Perhaps a re-install to this vmware update 2 will correct this . But
> that's a whole lot of work .
>
> Any tips ahead of that would be most appreciated .

for just a moment , I see the following on the ESXi console screen for
FreeBSD:

pcib19: Attention Button Pressed: Detaching in 5 seconds
pci5: <ACPI PCI bus> on picb19
vmx1: <NVeare VMXNET3 Ethernet Adapter> at device 0.0 on pci5
vmx1: Ethernet address: 00:0c:29:61:d0:61
vmx1: detached
pci5: detached

At this point I do not know if this is a
VMWare issue, or a
FreeBSD issue, or a
HP Server issue .

A guiding hand would be appreciated .