File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

John Johnstone nospamfreebsd.jjohnstone at tridentusa.com
Mon Feb 19 21:03:47 UTC 2018

On 2/19/18 12:56 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Mon, February 19, 2018 12:20 am, @lbutlr wrote:
>> On 2018-02-17 (11:44 MST), Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And here is the part where we two will fundamentally disagree. The truth
>>> is, that Apple store offers you the latest version of given application.
>>
>> But that is simply not true. There are plenty of applications that I can
>> reinstall on my old device that does not run the current OS, and I will
>> get the version for the OS I am running, not the newest version of the
>> application.
>>
>> Apple cannot give you a version of an application that the developer has
>> removed from the App store, no matter how badly you want it, as it is not
>> theirs to give.
>
> I wonder if you could teach me how to install older version of some
> application through apple store for which apple store already carries
> newer version of application. What do I do on my iOS device (iPhone or
> iPad) to choose different version of application than the one that pops up
> in the search of app store.
>
> I don't care which application you choose as example, I just would like to
> follow your step by step instruction. Once I am able to see one
> (whichever) application for which I can choose one of two different
> versions, I will happily admit that my statement was wrong. And I will
> learn something. But so far I haven't seen the way to install older
> version of some application (the version that was released when older
> version on iOS was actively supported). But, of course, I did check all
> applications that are in apple store.
>
> Thanks.
> Valeri

An iOS device can be used with or without iTunes.  Without iTunes, apps
install on the device directly from the App store and only the latest
app version is available with whatever iOS dependency it has from the
developer.  Some developers create new apps with a different name which
allows them to have similar apps in the store with different iOS
dependencies.

With older versions of iTunes (e.g. 10.6.2), apps are downloaded from
the App store into iTunes and stored locally in the iTunes app library.
Syncing with the iOS device with iTunes installs the app from the iTunes
library.  The local storing of apps in the iTunes app library was
removed in more recent versions of iTunes.

When restoring from a backup apps are restored from either the app
library with older versions of iTunes or directly from the App store
with the newer iTunes versions or in the case of iCloud backups.  You
then get whatever app version is available in the store at the time you
do the restore.

If this subject is important for someone they need to do some careful
research outside of this mailing list.  Because the behavior has changed
over time and varies with the different scenarios this is an area that
is not fully understood by many people.

-
John J.